Monday, September 26, 2016

Proactive Parenting

Four Steps to Proactive Parenting
Our children are constantly watching and listening to what we say and do.  Author Brene’ Brown says, “Are you being the adult you want your child to grow up and be?” Below you will find four steps you can take to help your child grow up and be the adult you want him or her to be.  

Step One - Reflect
Take time to reflect and ask yourself these questions.    
  • Am I using the tone of voice, words, and body language I want my child to use?
  • Am I responding to unexpected situations like I want my child to respond?
  • Am I doing things for my child that he or she can do for themselves?
  • Am I celebrating my child’s effort or looking for perfection?
  • Am I letting my child fail?
  • Am I spending my time outside of work like I want my child to grow up and spend their time?

Step Two - Select
Select something you want to improve and be intentional about improving that area of your life.  In the book, Burn Your Goals, the authors Joshua Medcalf and Jamie Gilbert say we only have 86,400 seconds in a day and our outcomes will change when we change what we are doing on a daily basis. We all want to raise independent and successful children. What can you change in your daily life to get this desired outcome?

Step Three - Act
Make an action plan and stick to the plan. For example, I am going to stop cussing in front of the kids. I will stop bringing my child’s lunch to school when they forget it. I will start taking deep breaths when an unexpected situation happens. I will quit complaining about work. Once you have established your plan, spend a little time each day thinking about if you did what you said you were going to do.  Continually ask yourself, Am I being intentional?

Step Four - Repeat
Once you feel like you have mastered your plan. Start the process over again.

Reflect, Select, Act, and Repeat four steps to being a proactive parent! Our kids are growing up fast and we want them to have it all.  All they really want is YOU!  Remember you are enough and have much to offer your child.

If you are looking for more information on parenting, Julie Lythcott-Haims a former Stanford Dean wrote How to Raise An Adult. It is a great resource for parents of all ages.  Providing a back to basics blueprint of what you can or should stop doing to help your child be successful.